Discover almost 160 years of winemaking experience with a trip to Tyrrell’s Hunter Valley winery. Visit the cellar door and taste some of our award winning wines, take a tour and experience first hand the old oak vats and historic red cellar still in full operation. You will also see the original iron bark hut that Edward Tyrrell lived in and the Short Flat Vineyard, home of Australia’s most awarded white wine, Vat 1 Semillon, with its vines first planted in 1923.
Cellar Door Opening Hours
Monday – Saturday
9:00am – 5:00pm
10:00am – 4:00pm
Daily Winery Tour
Daily 10:30am – 11:30am (only 1 tour per day)
This fascinating, informative look into the history of Tyrrell’s is open to the public and leaves daily at 10:30 sharp. Please arrive 10 minutes in advance to register and dress appropriately for an outdoor walking tour.
Cost $5.00 per adult, children are free, bookings are required for groups of eight people or more.
Please see further down page for more informaiton about tasting options at our Cellar Door.
Group Booking Policy
We define a Group as 8 to 40+ people. If you are inquiring on behalf of a group of 8 people or more we do require you to please call in advance and book your visit. We are a busy cellar door operating out of a limited space and booking ahead enables us to offer you the highest level of service possible.
- All commercial Tour Operator’s (as a courtesy) are required to call in advance to check on availability regardless of group size or day of the week.
- The BBQ area is available to groups & general public at no cost and there is no requirement to book, however we do request some forewarning, (such as a phone call for groups over 10) and there is a strict NO BYO policy in place. Note: there is no wet weather option available if it rains.
- There is neither a restaurant nor accommodation available on site nor are we licenced to provide food.
- Children under the age of 18 are not allowed to be given wine to taste by the staff, parents or anyone else. This is illegal behaviour under Australian law.
Meet the Team
Scott Richardson Cellar Door Supervisor
Born and raised in the region, my first real job out of school just happened to be in the wine industry (coincidentally here at Tyrrell’s), and I have remained within the wine industry ever since. As a young man, working in an industry that allowed you to travel was very attractive and now as a middle aged man I love the fact I work close to home.
Over this nearly 30 year period I have covered nearly every facet of wine production from vineyard to bottling line, from lowly cellar hand to management roles, even spent a couple of years studying Oenology at Roseworthy.
Today I am so very happy to be back in the warm embrace of the Tyrrell family, this time in the Cellar Door.
Glen Kirtley Cellar Door Sales
Having grown up in the Hunter Valley it always made sense that I would work in the industry. I started out at a local gourmet provedore, and eventually went into event management.
Eight years later I was looking to specialise in wine and expand my knowledge.
My love of Chardonnay led me to Tyrrell’s, the birthplace of Australian Chardonnay, and I have never looked back.
I look forward to many more years at Tyrrell’s and a lot more Chardonnay.
Esther O'Connell Cellar Door Sales
My career in the Hunter Valley wine industry started in the early 90s when as a new immigrant from the Netherlands, I found a job at Wyndham Estate and my journey with wine began.
Many years and a handful of boutique vineyards later, I am now a part of the team at the home of the world’s best Semillon.
This is my favourite variety, I invite you to visit us at the vineyard so I can show you why.
Ali Wood Winery Sales & Communications
Upon moving from Sydney to the Hunter Valley several years ago, it was a series of serendipitous events that led me to work at Tyrrell’s.
After a few years in the Cellar Door, I look after our valued members in the Winery Sales Department, utilising my public relations and marketing background.
I now live in Newcastle with my husband and son. I thoroughly enjoy travelling to my ‘office’ in the vineyards, working for one of Australia's great family owned wine companies.
Tiffany Naysmith Winery Sales Coordinator & Cellar Door Sales
My interest in wine was sparked after leaving my teaching career in a small mid-west American town and moving here to the beautiful Hunter Valley with my husband. Coming from such a vastly different climate, I was instantly captivated by the beauty and culture of the region.
In discovering my passion for Australian wine, I found myself here at Tyrrell's. I have since developed not only a taste for these outstanding wines, but have fallen in love with the charm that encompasses the stunning view, great old buildings, and the fascinating family history.
I am delighted to be part of the Tyrrell's team, and I look forward to your visit here at the winery, where I can share with you the magic I have found.
The “GENERAL TASTING” is a tasting within the Cellar Door, standing at the bar and is suitable for couples and small groups of 8 people or less, all ranges are available to taste, up to but not including the Winemakers Selection range.
No Charge & No Booking is required.
Premium Private Tasting
The “PREMIUM PRIVATE TASTING” is a Private tasting set away from the Cellar Door, it can be seated or otherwise depending on the group size and comes with a dedicated staff member. As with the “PREMIUM TASTING” all ranges are made available to taste. It is offered to groups up to 40pax.
Cost is $15 per person, bookings are subject to availability and do require advanced booking. Time required: allow a minimum of 60mins.
The “PREMIUM TASTING” is a tasting within the Cellar Door, standing at the bar and is suitable for couples and small groups of 8 people or less, all ranges are available to taste but the focus is on our premium offer, it includes the Winemakers Selection range and is more structured in its nature and execution.
Cost is $10 per person, please request from staff upon arrival. Time required: allow a minimum of 30mins.
Private Tour & Tasting
The “PRIVATE TOUR & TASTING” is offered to groups over 8 people up to maximum of 40, at this level the experience can be a bit more tailored to the customers wishes, but in essence it combines a glass in hand, behind the scenes tour of the vineyard & winery with the Premium Private tasting. Suitable for industry or corporate groups.
Cost is $25 per person, bookings are subject to availability and do require advanced booking. Time required: allow a minimum of 2 hours.
Email email@example.com for further information and bookings.
Directions from Sydney CBD
- You need to head North so follow signs for the Harbour Bridge and merge onto Bradfield Hwy.
- Keep right to stay on Bradfield Hwy, follow signs for Metroad 1, continue to merge onto M1. [ FYI The Bradfield Hwy soon becomes the Warringah Freeway then it becomes the Gore Hill Freeway, just keep going and look out for signs directing you to Newcastle ]
- Take the PACIFIC HIGHWAY exit towards Chatswood/Newcastle
- Take the Pacific Highway/Metroad 1 ramp on the left to Chatswood/Newcastle
- At “Artarmon” Turn right onto Pacific Hwy/A1 [ from A1 to F3 is roughly ~14km but expect lots of traffic ]
- At “Wahroonga” Turn right onto the ramp to F3 Freeway/National Highway 1/Newcastle
- Merge onto Pacific Motorway [ ~120 km or 1 hour drive North start looking for Newcastle Link Road ]
- Take exit Newcastle Link Road towards Newcastle
- Keep left at the fork and merge onto the new Hunter Expressway/M15 [ ~20 min drive to Lovedale exit]
- Drive North towards Braxton/Singleton until you see the Lovedale exit sign
- Take the Lovedale exit
- At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Lovedale Road [ ~10mins to Wine Country Drive turn off ]
- Turn right onto Wine Country Drive/B82 Road you will pass a small airport on your left followed by the Tourist Information Centre. Take the next left into Broke Road [ ~2 min to Broke Road turn off ]
- Turn left onto Broke Road Follow Broke Road until you reach a ‘T’ intersection with McDonalds Road. After you turn left you then immediately right into the continuation of Broke Road [ ~2 min to turn off ]
- Tyrrells Wines will be on the top of a rise on your left