** COVID-19 UPDATE **
With the escalation of the current COVID-19 situation, ensuring the well-being and safety of our guests and staff is of the utmost importance. Tyrrell’s have made the heart-breaking and difficult decision to suspend all tastings, tours and experiences until further notice. However, we are offering takeaway bottle sales at the Cellar Door.
Discover 160 years of winemaking experience with a trip to Tyrrell’s Hunter Valley winery. Visit the cellar door and taste some of our award winning wines, take a tour and experience first hand the old oak vats and historic red cellar still in full operation. You will also see the original iron bark hut that Edward Tyrrell lived in and the Short Flat Vineyard, home of Australia’s most awarded white wine, Vat 1 Semillon, with its vines first planted in 1923.
Cellar Door Opening Hours
Monday – Saturday
9:00am – 5:00pm
Sunday & Public Holidays
10:00am – 4:00pm
Daily Winery Tour (allow 1 hour)
Daily 10:30am / Cost $15.00 per adult (children are free)
Bookings are required for groups of eight people or more.
This fascinating, informative, behind the scenes look into the history of Tyrrell’s leaves daily at 10:30am sharp. Please arrive 10 minutes in advance to register and dress appropriately for an outdoor walking tour.
The General Tasting takes place within the Cellar Door, standing at the bar and is suitable for couples and small groups of 8 people or less. $10 per person, or $15 per person if you wish to include wines from our top shelf. These tasting fees are redeemable with bottle purchase.
No booking is required.
Premium Private Tasting
The Premium Private Tasting is a more personal experience set in an exclusive tasting space and includes your own dedicated staff member. It is available to groups up to 20 people.
Cost is $20 per person, bookings are subject to availability and requires advanced booking.
Time required: allow a minimum of 60 minutes.
Private Tour & Tasting
The Private Tour and Tasting offered to groups of between 8 to 20 people, this gives you an exclusive behind the scenes tour of the vineyard and winery, and concludes with a Premium Private tasting.
Cost is $30 per person, bookings are subject to availability and requires advanced booking.
Time required: allow a minimum of 90 minutes.
Group Booking Policy
We define a Group as 8 or more people. If you are enquiring on behalf of a group of 8 people or more we do require you to please call in advance and book your visit. We are a busy cellar door operation out of a limited space and booking ahead enables us to offer you the highest level of service possible.
A few things to note when planning your visit…
All commercial Tour Operators, as a courtesy, are required to call in advance to check on availability regardless of group size or day of the week.
There are three BBQ areas and several picnic tables available to groups and general public at no cost and there is no requirement to book. We do however request some forewarning for groups over 10 and there is a strict no BYO policy in place. Wine can be purchased from our Cellar Door. Note, there is no wet weather option available.
Please be advised we do not have a restaurant or accommodation available on site. Our staff can recommend food and accommodation options close by if required.
Meet the Team
CELLAR DOOR MANAGER
I was employed as Tyrrell’s Cellar Door Manager in August 2018, and bring an extensive background and knowledge of sales and wine, with 12 years experience in these fields.
My family and I have called the Hunter Valley home for over 20 years, which has played a key role in combining my sales background with my love of wine.
My long-standing relationship with the Tyrrell family and passion for their wines has ensured a smooth transition into life at Tyrrell’s.
CELLAR DOOR SALES
Born and raised in the region, my first real job out of school just happened to be in the wine industry (coincidentally here at Tyrrell’s), and I have remained within the wine industry ever since. As a young man, working in an industry that allowed you to travel was very attractive and now as a middle aged man I love the fact I work close to home.
Over this nearly 30 year period I have covered nearly every facet of wine production from vineyard to bottling line, from lowly cellar hand to management roles, even spent a couple of years studying Oenology at Roseworthy.
Today I am so very happy to be back in the warm embrace of the Tyrrell family, this time in the Cellar Door.
MEMBERSHIP & COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
Upon moving from Sydney to the Hunter Valley several years ago, it was a series of serendipitous events that led me to work at Tyrrell’s.
Starting in our Cellar Door in 2011, I now oversee the operations of our wine clubs and digital communications in the Membership & Communications department, utilising my public relations and marketing background.
I now live in Newcastle with my husband and two children. I thoroughly enjoy travelling to my ‘office’ in the vineyards, working for one of Australia's great family owned wine companies.
MEMBERSHIP & COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR / CELLAR DOOR SALES
My interest in wine was sparked after leaving my teaching career in a small mid-west American town and moving here to the beautiful Hunter Valley with my husband. Coming from such a vastly different climate, I was instantly captivated by the beauty and culture of the region.
In discovering my passion for Australian wine, I found myself here at Tyrrell's. I have since developed not only a taste for these outstanding wines, but have fallen in love with the charm that encompasses the stunning view, great old buildings, and the fascinating family history.
I am delighted to be part of the Tyrrell's team, and I look forward to your visit here at the winery, where I can share with you the magic I have found.
Directions from Sydney CBD
- You need to head North so follow signs for the Harbour Bridge and merge onto Bradfield Hwy.
- Keep right to stay on Bradfield Hwy, follow signs for Metroad 1, continue to merge onto M1. [ FYI The Bradfield Hwy soon becomes the Warringah Freeway then it becomes the Gore Hill Freeway, just keep going and look out for signs directing you to Newcastle ]
- Take the PACIFIC HIGHWAY exit towards Chatswood/Newcastle
- Take the Pacific Highway/Metroad 1 ramp on the left to Chatswood/Newcastle
- At “Artarmon” Turn right onto Pacific Hwy/A1 [ from A1 to F3 is roughly ~14km but expect lots of traffic ]
- At “Wahroonga” Turn right onto the ramp to F3 Freeway/National Highway 1/Newcastle
- Merge onto Pacific Motorway [ ~120 km or 1 hour drive North start looking for Newcastle Link Road ]
- Take exit Newcastle Link Road towards Newcastle
- Keep left at the fork and merge onto the new Hunter Expressway/M15 [ ~20 min drive to Lovedale exit]
- Drive North towards Braxton/Singleton until you see the Lovedale exit sign
- Take the Lovedale exit
- At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Lovedale Road [ ~10mins to Wine Country Drive turn off ]
- Turn right onto Wine Country Drive/B82 Road you will pass a small airport on your left followed by the Tourist Information Centre. Take the next left into Broke Road [ ~2 min to Broke Road turn off ]
- Turn left onto Broke Road Follow Broke Road until you reach a ‘T’ intersection with McDonalds Road. After you turn left you then immediately right into the continuation of Broke Road [ ~2 min to turn off ]
- Tyrrells Wines will be on the top of a rise on your left