4 Acres Vineyard
The 4 Acres vineyard, planted in 1879 by founder Edward Tyrrell, is located at the top of the hill to the right of the winery driveway. In 1964, every second row was pulled out to allow cultivation by tractor after the draught horses were retired. After three vintages, the vineyard returned to its original cropping level. This great vineyard was the source of the famous Maurice O’Shea Mt Pleasant Richard Hermitage 1954, made by Dan Tyrrell.
|Soil Type||Heavy red volcanic clay over limestone|